Sign up info has been sent to student emails. Students will be assigned an ACTime orientation on either 3/20 or 3/27.
To better align with the college experience, process, and the expectations held at the college, individual student meetings will be limited to situations where high school staff use professional judgement to determine if a meeting is necessary. High school staff reach out to the student if they deem a meeting is needed.
Students will be able to learn about the program and will need to make the choice for themselves if it is right for them (this includes factoring in the finite support they will receive from the high school)
Running Start program allows 11th and 12th grade high school students to take college-level courses at community and technical colleges. Students can earn both high school and college credits through this partnership between the K-12 and community college systems.
JHS Counselors believe that the Running Start program is for students that are academically focused, independent, organized, and mature.
It is expected by the colleges associated with Running Start, that students be able to maintain a 2.0 or higher each college quarter or result in ineligibility for the program.
You may need to change some of your expectations about privileges and responsibilities at school. College is an adult environment where students are expected to engage in the community in a positive, mature and independent manner.
Parents: We have been asked to remind you that FERPA laws are followed at the college level. College faculty are NOT allowed to communicate with anyone but the student about the students academic progress. Please do not contact them for any reason.
**JHS Counselors also strongly advise against starting the program in any other quarter than Fall.**
Please use the below link during the 5 day EVF Request Period to submit an EVF Request.
Request period for Spring EVFs:
1/29-2/2 closing @3:30pm
Miss the request deadline?
Late Quarterly EvF Request Form
Please use the link above understanding you may not receive your updated EVF by your desired date.
- I am not doing well in my current JHS classes. Is Running Start for me?
- If I don't like Running Start or am not doing well, can I come back to JHS mid year?
- Can I start Running Start at any quarter?
- Will my JHS Counselor help me register for my college classes?
- Can Parents communicate with the college?
- Can Cambridge students do Running Start?
- Is Running Start for me if I don't know what I may want to major in, or even go to college?
- What is the difference between being a Running Start student vs a normal high school student?
- I am a current 9th or 10th grader and I want to prepare to do Running Start. What should I do?