Running Start program allows 11th and 12th grade high school students to take college-level courses at community and technical colleges. Students can earn both high school and college credits through this partnership between the K-12 and community college systems.
Running Start Information
Interested in Running Start? Please thoroughly look though all the information provided below.*** Note regarding placement testing: With the college campuses closed due to COVID-19, students are currently unable to take placement tests. Colleges have determined alternative ways of allowing kids to place in to classes, which may include high school grades, SBA and/or SAT/ACT scores. If the college is requesting your unofficial transcript you must email Ms. Hamilton with the Transcript Request Form. If the college is requesting your SBA scores, you can view them on Skyward. If the college is requesting your SAT or ACT scores, you may log in to your College Board or ACT accounts online and see your score reports.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In order to schedule an appointment with your JHS counselor to discuss Running Start, you and your parent/guardian first need follow the steps below. Individual meetings will start after May 1st.
- Review the presentations from Juanita and from the college you are interested in attending (see frequently accessed college links to the right)
- Complete the full JHS Running Start Packet
- Current LWSD students are required to take the Running Start Student Quiz (must have an LWSD email account): http://bit.ly/StudentRunningStartQuiz
- Non-LWSD students, please take the following Running Start Student Quiz: http://bit.ly/NonLwsdStudentRunningStartQuiz
- Guardians are required to take the Running Start Parent Quiz (LWSD account is not needed): http://bit.ly/ParentRunningStartQuiz
- Complete Running Start Application at the college you plan to attend next fall
- Starting May 1st students may email or contact their counselor, confirming completion of the steps above and ask for a meeting. Please remember to bring your completed Running Start paperwork with you.